How to use the Inbox Repair Tools to recover e-mail messages in Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2003
NOTE: The examples listed below refer to using the Inbox Repair Tool on a .pst file. The same procedures apply to an offline folder (.ost) file. To locate the offline folder (.ost) file, click to select Offline Folders (*.ost) in Select File to Scan.
The Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe) is a tool designed to help repair problems associated with Personal Folder (.pst) files. The Scanost.exe tool is used to repair offline folder (.ost) files.
The Inbox Repair Tool installs automatically during setup. These programs are typically located in one of the following folders: • <disk drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
• <disk drive>:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033
Back to the top
Run the Inbox Repair Tool
1. Click Start and point to Find, or Search, depending upon your operating system.
2. In the Search for files or folders named box, type scanpst.exe.
3. Double click the Scanpst.exe file to open the program.
4. Type the path and file name of the pst file, or click Browse to locate the file using the windows file system.
5. Click Start.
Back to the top
What the Inbox Repair Tool Does
When you run the Inbox Repair Tool on a Personal Folders (.pst) file, it does the following: • The Inbox Repair Tool analyses the Personal Folders (.pst) file directory structure and item headers to try and recover all folders and items.
• If the Inbox Repair Tool recovers the Personal Folders (.pst) file, it means that the repair tool found problems, and repaired what it could.
• The Inbox Repair Tool tries to turn any file into a Personal Folders (.pst) file. (For example, if you rename an executable file to "Something.pst," (without quotation marks) the tool changes the file to a mountable .pst file).
Click the link below to send your corrupt or damaged file for data recovery: